James Miller - Coeliac Diary

 

Friday, July 25, 2003

Preamble

 

This diary was started because on July 24, 2003, I received a letter from Addenbrooke's Hospital saying that I might have coeliac disease. (Celiac in the US!)

Perhaps, I'll start with a bit of background.

About five or six years ago at a routine blood test, it was found that I had low levels of vitamin B12. This is in fact quite common and makes you feel a bit run down, lacking in energy and sort of depressed. Nothing that serious but annoying none the less.

After feeling a lot better by eating 'B12-rich' foods such as liver, I finally decided in January 2003 to start having injections of the vitamin. It was something I hadn't wanted to do, as it was almost accepting defeat that I was ill!

Since the first injection, I have felt a lot better, but my GP and I decided we ought to get to the bottom of what was causing the problem.

So an appointment was made to see a consultant at Addenbrooke's in Cambridge, which is the nearest big hospital to where I live. It is also one of the best in the UK, with Mary Archer (Yes! The 'fragrant' one! Jeffrey's wife!) as Chairman! (She is not a 'Chair' or 'Chairwoman'!)

Question - Why is the hospital called Addenbrooke's?

The hospital website explains the history on its web site.

"Addenbrooke's was one of the first provincial, voluntary hospitals in Britain and as such has a long and important history. It opened in 1766 in Trumpington Street, Cambridge. Dr John Addenbrooke left just over £4500 in his will "to hire and fit up, purchase or erect a small, physical hospital in the town of Cambridge for poor people"."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home