James Miller - Coeliac Diary

 

Monday, May 10, 2004

UK-Coeliac Group on Yahoo

 

This was the post I put up when I joined the UK-Coeliac Yahoo Group.

"Hello

About six months ago, I was diagnosed as a coeliac. At the age of 56!

I can remember as a child, that my family thought something was wrong, but nothing was every found. They thought I was allergic to eggs.

Interestingly, in the interim period, I've tended to eat lots of potatoes, no puddings, few sauces, pies, lots of liver, meat and fish. I did eat and like bread, but otherwise I was tending the right way! I also tended to drink whisky, wine, bottled Guinness and real beer. Obviously, the latter has now gone, but Adnams tell me that real beer is lower in gluten than mass-produced lager!

In the last six month, I feel about ten years younger. The interesting fact is that my Real Tennis handicap has improved by four points. So not only do I feel better, but I think I've proved it as a Real Tennis handicap is a very sound measure of competence. (It works like a very sophisticated golf handicap, but it is computerised
on a world-wide basis!)

On the other hand, I don't think I'm a particularly serious coeliac, but I do keep to a fairly strict diet.

James Miller

P.S. I put a coeliac diary on my web site at http://www.jamesmiller.com/ for the period of sorting me out!"


Update October 2006

I've been on the group since and would recommend that if you are a coeliac or care for someone who is, then join!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home