James Miller - Coeliac Diary

 

Saturday, January 15, 2005

A Breath of Fresh Air

 

My wife is a barrister in Cambridge and so once a year we all troop along for a worthy dinner for all of the local lawyers at one of the colleges. Usually, the food is awful and if you ever had mentioned gluten-free you’d have got a “What?” or something ruder.

This year we ended up in the Great Hall at Kings. This is the paired building opposite the chapel that is so well known. It is magnificent and well worth a visit on its own.

As we entered, I thought this can’t be bad as I was offered a satay-like starter, which I was assured was pure meat. Is the sauce gluten-free? I asked. The waitress didn’t know, but it looked it as it was a thin Thai one. I certainly didn’t have any reaction.

Imagine my surprise when I was presented with a four course gluten-free menu of char-grilled asparagus with quails eggs, tuna with a salad, confit of duck and a raspberry crème brulee. I declined the latter as it came with a biscuit, but mainly because I rarely do puddings!

There was also vegetarian and special diet options.

Not bad really, as we were all paying for the meal and one that really did do credit to all concerned.

Let’s hope other mass caterers follow suit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home