James Miller - Coeliac Diary

 

Friday, March 16, 2007

Medical records

 

I saw an article on BBC Breakfast about the computerisation of medical records.

Personally, I've no problem with this as my medical records don't contain any dark secrets. I've read most of them by the way, as the nurse and I usually browse through the older ones to look at all the coeliac symptoms that are there, when I have my B12 injections. (Does your nurse sit with you for five minutes or so, to check for any injection shock?) Unfortunately, they start when I was 21 as they got lost after University. (I suspect that I may have two NHS numbers, which is a problem for computerisation as well.)

But the first entry is persistent and severe diarrhoea, which won't go away. Guess what we had a lovely bakery in the village.

If they show anything, they show that doctors kept missing the symptoms of CD for thirty years and even then it took another five for a correct diagnosis. If I look at those doctors, none were incompetent and one was a personal friend. So perhaps it says something about the problems of diagnosis of CD.

But what if I have something to hide.

Say abortion of which there are upwards of 50,000 a year in the UK or a sexually transmitted disease. Would you want those to be on a computer system? On the other hand if you didn't, then would you really want to give that as the reason for not being entered.

I know this is off topic, but what does everyone think.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home