James Miller - Coeliac Diary

 

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Gluten Free Food on Prescription

 

I’ve never bothered much with prescriptions.

The only thing I get is Dr. Schar’s pasta, which you can’t get in a shop.

I should also say that I don’t eat GF bread, as I’ve just cut it out of my diet. I do it biscuits and cake, which I get from the supermarket.

As I turned 60 in August I get free prescriptions, but after going through what is available, I decided not to bother. My surgery has its own pharmacist, so I was able to sit down with her at the computer.

She said that the lot of many could be improved with some chocolate items on the list. She felt that as you’re ill, the NHS thinks you shouldn’t have anything enjoyable.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am 58 and have had a GF diet since 11. There are lots of food you can get on prescription which are exactly the same that you buy in shops. Pizza Bases, Spaghetti, Pasta, (macaroni, fusilli, etc.), cake and bread mixes, as well as biscuits and crackers. By not bothering all you are doing is paying (increased)supermarket prices for food you could get free. As for chocolate, as you aren't willing to get free bread (a staple) why on earth should the NHS provide you with chocolate that you can buy (GF) in any shop?

6:50 pm  
Blogger James Miller said...

I don't eat pizza, although I might have had the odd one in the last few years, when a friend has made one specially for me. I also don't eat much spaghetti, which I do get on prescription, but that is all I get.

I have started eating a bit of bread, but that is made, sliced and frozen by my housekeeper using a bread mix, so I suppose I could get that, but most of the time, I eat meat, fish and vegetables that I cook myself.

As to chocolate, I have about one bar a week if at all.

But I do like my diet as what is nicer than a lean pork chop cooked in apple, cyder and onions, served with something like new potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower or brussel sprouts.

6:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home