James Miller - Coeliac Diary

 

Sunday, August 31, 2003

Pizza Express - Review

 

I have to express an interest here.

For many years when I've wanted a quick meal, whether with Celia or not, I've often used Pizza Express. Often this has been in Cambridge in Jesus Lane, where the restaurant is hidden away in a magnificent building, that used to be the Pitt Club.

So the news that I had to stick to a gluten-free diet did not hold out much for the continuance of this pleasure.

No more Fiorentina pizzas! In fact no more pizzas of any sort!

But!

I sent them an E-Mail and got a very detailed response, which showed that they have thought very seriously about the problems of a gluten-free and other diets.

Although most of the standard menu is now off-limits, with a bit of judicious choice and cuttings out the dough balls and the pizzas, I can have a sensible meal.

The reply also said that I can take in my own gluten-free pizza bases, which they will then use. Sounds fair!

It has since been proved right in that we have now visited the new Newmarket branch and had a very good and quick meal.

One reads about problems with service in UK restaurants.

Not here!

The staff knew about diet and the manager agreed with everything I had heard from Head Office.

At least one company is getting their communications and training right!

Any suggestions :-

Coeliac sufferers needing a long alcoholic drink, can drink cider. There are some good ones like Sheppys and Aspalls.

Why not allow substitution of new potatoes for dough balls.

The ultimate would be to have gluten-free pizza bases available. I know this would be a pain for a delivery system, but remember that 1-in-300 may be coeliacs!

Update February 2005

The new menu has more gluten-free options.

Update March 2006

Sadly, the new menu is not as friendly as the old one. Oh Dear!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home