James Miller - Coeliac Diary

 

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Hangovers

 

I played real tennis at the weekend, with a PhD biochemistry student from Cambridge and we got to talking about hangovers!

I’ve never really suffered and even in my student days at Liverpool, I could drink very large amounts and wake in the morning very fresh. I can be a heavy drinker at times, but I can honestly say, I can’t remember my last hangover.

Could this lack of hangover be due to the coeliac disease, which I must have had all my life?

Or is it due to my East European Jewish genes? I’ve come across several others with similar ancestry and some seem to show the same tolerance as I do!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can work it out. I had "hangovers" for years. Neck pains, tiredness, nausea and occasional headaches. Try drinking an excess to the equivalent of neat spirit such as vodka. If you suffer little or no ill effects then it's clearly not the alcohol but something else in the beer. The most likely culprit being the wheat element rather than the unfermented sugars or other trace elements. I can drink well over 1/4 bottle of vodka with no effects but 4 pints of beer and I am seriously ill :(

3:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home