James Miller - Coeliac Diary

 

Thursday, July 31, 2003

More on Beer

 

Of all the things I will miss, beer is the most important.

I spent my first drinking years in Felixstowe and it was there that I really got a taste for real beer. Then it was Tolly or Cobbold and a little bit of Adnams. Now both Tolly and Cobbold have gone as brewers, Adnams are world-renowned and there is also the real ale giant Greene King in Bury St. Edmunds.

Read most of the coealic sites and they all say stay off beer as it made from barley which contains gluten.

So I asked CAMRA!

If you don't know the organisation, they are the Campaign for Real Ale, who as well as campaigning for good real beer, they also try and preserve the best of the pubs in the UK.

I got this informative reply from Ian Loe :-

"There are currently very few beers which are gluten free.

Basically you need a beer brewed with Sorghum (rather than malted barley) to ensure absence of gluten.

Nigerian Guinness is such a drink and can be found occasionally in the UK. We even have some at our Great British Beer Festival next week at London Olympia.

There is a gluten free beer being brewed by Heineken in Italy called Bi-Aglut sold via Farmacia shops in Italy and Free Aglut Beer sold via the Auchan supermarket chain.

A beer from the Ugandan Nile Breweries is also made from sorghum but I have no indication whether this will be made available in the UK. The Nile Breweries is owned by South African Breweries.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

It is to be hoped that a few UK brewers will take up the challenge to brew gluten free beer - for there is a demand."

So I'm not looking forward to drinking lots of beer!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home