James Miller - Coeliac Diary

 

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Southampton West Quay Shopping Centre

 

I went Christmas shopping with my wife, Celia, our son, daughter-in-law and grand-daughter at the West Quay Shopping Centre in Southampton on Saturday.

They spent all of this money on the place and then they fill the Food Court with crap. They didn't provide a parking system that was fit for purpose either.

We decided to eat in the Cafe Giardino, because I had noticed I could get an omelette. However, in the words of that truly wonderful British catering phrase, "Omelette is off!" Oh! Well! I'll have the baked potato. But then I realised this was the same chain where I'd had a totally inedible one in Ipswich which may have glutened me! So I passed and had a packet of Kettle Crisps, which were stale, but still inside their sell-by date and a tasteless banana. The only compensation was that Celia's panini used cardboard instead of bread and was inedible, so she got less than me.

Still if we don't complain, then we'll get this rubbish. At least if you go to some of the slightly more upmarket chains, they at least know what gluten is and tell you where it's in the food. There was no chance in Giardino, as when I asked I got a totally blank look. I don't think the chef spoke English past the menu.

To make matters worse, we had to leave early as one of our basset hounds was unwell and didn't eat before we left. Would you believe that between Winchester and Newmarket, there is only one Service Area, Fleet, which is one from the Dark Ages without a decent coffee shop or an M&S Simply Food. The latter is always good for a salad with cutlery. They do have a large selection of amusement machines, so I can see they have got their priorities right.

It was good to get home!

It is unlikely we will be going to Southampton and the shops again. Bluewater, Bicester and Meadowhall are so much better.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home