James Miller - Coeliac Diary

 

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Codex Starch

 

I have not joined Coeliac UK as I am a Marxist (of the Groucho tendency) and wouldn’t join any club that would have me as a member!

But seriously though, I am a scientist and engineer, who has some very good credits in the past and I got those by distrusting what it said on the tin!

I should also say that I’m not that sensitive, especially as I wasn’t diagnosed until about 55. But I probably should have been diagnosed a lot earlier and wish I had.

So I am always suspicious of what I’m told. But then I enquire to make sure that what they say is correct. Take Kettle crisps! I phoned them and got someone who assured me that everything they say is GF is GF. I can’t remember exactly what was said, but I think they said it was easier to not source any non-GF ingredients, so that they wouldn’t be in trouble with anybody.

Consequently and especially after the Christmas incident, I always ask and insist that the chef tells me, when I’m in a restaurant. On Monday this had the result, that I got some really nice asparagus and Parma ham that wasn’t on the menu.

So to return to the Codex starch. I would avoid anything I don’t know what it is! I’ve not read the Codex, so I don’t know about Codex starch, so I wouldn’t eat it.

Just be sensible and each to their own!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home